Senator Hueso on the Passage of an On-Time and Balanced $138.6 Billion Spending Plan
Sacramento, CA - June 14, 2018 - Senator Ben Hueso announced today that the State Legislature passed a balanced and on-time 2018-19 State Budget. As the fifth largest economy in the world, this budget continues our economic progress while planning for future economic uncertainties by setting aside the maximum financial reserve the law allows. This budget focuses on education with a record investment of $78.4 billion on K-14 education, supports our cities with $500 million in homeless emergency solutions and creates jobs through our small business development centers. Senator Hueso voted in favor of Senate Bill 840, which is the main budget bill and cleared the Senate floor by a vote of 27-10.
“I appreciate my colleagues who worked so hard to pass a responsible and honest budget that includes the legislature’s top priorities,” said Senator Ben Hueso. “Our focus continues to be reflective of the states needs by investing in our infrastructure and supporting the educational needs of our youth.”
Highlights of the 2018-19 State Budget include:
- The total General Fund spending of $138.6 billion.
- The budget invests $78.4 billion in K-14 education.
- $500 million the Homeless Emergency Act.
- $23 million for the Office of Small Business Advocate and our local small business development centers.
2018 Budget Goals within the Senator’s District:
- $30 million for Salton Sea Restoration Activities.
- $30 million for the City of San Diego’s Pure Water program.
- $42 million for the construction of the El Centro Courthouse.
- $40 million for the construction of the El Centro CHP Office.
- Community college veteran resource centers will receive an additional $6.2 million.
- $1 million for a new workforce development program at Imperial Valley College to launch a new correctional academy and medical assistant programs
Senate Bill 840, which is the 2018-19 State Budget will be sent to the Governor for his signature and will take effect on July 1, 2018.